Travelling the world is not for the fainthearted but if you do want to travel, make sure you have the right stuff in your suitcase for the occasion. In the excitement of setting out to see the world, you might forget to pack a few things, and this unfortunately has the potential to ruin a trip. With this in mind, we have put together the ultimate list of ideas that you should consider packing in your suitcase.
The list of items that we have included here is not a one size fits all list, and depending on your journey and destination, you will need to adjust what and how you pack your bags. But we hope this list will give you enough information and inspiration to ensure that you pack everything you need!
Depending on how you plan on traveling, and what sort of adventure you have planned, you will need a particular bag. For example, you can’t use a large suitcase for hiking across a mountain range. Well, you can, but it will make travelling a lot more difficult for you. Choosing the right bag can be tough, especially if you plan on visiting a few countries while you are away from home. Ultimately, it will come down to what you think will be easier to move with. Maybe you would feel better with a backpack, or a case on wheels, the choice is up to you.
This might seem like the most obvious thing to pack but people rarely give as much thought as they should as to what goes into their case. What you do need to find out is whether or not laundry facilities are available at your destinations. If you know this, you can then pack as much or as little as you need. As a general rule, you should pack enough for around 5 days. This includes-
- Underwear – Consider some lightweight options in order to keep the weight of your suitcase to a minimum.
- Socks – Make sure you pack a variety to cover any possible activities.
- Trousers and shorts – try to keep the amount of jeans that you pack to a minimum as they are heavy items. If possible, choose light cotton and shorts, especially if you are heading somewhere that is warmer than you are used to.
- Shirts and t-shirts – Again, you will want a mixture to make sure you are covered for any possible events.
- Sleep wear – If you normally sleep in nothing but a smile, you might want to consider something light to sleep in, especially if you are staying in hostels or a shared space.
- Shoes – Shoes are one of those things that you need to be careful with. They can be heavy and take up a lot of room in your bag. This is another time to be mindful of the activities that you will be taking part in.
- Wet weather gear – If you are heading to a place that is known for the sun, you can probably leave these at home. However, if you are heading somewhere that has a variety of weather, choose a lightweight jacket that can be easily folded up to maximize space in your case.
- Swim wear – This should be on most people’s lists, even if you aren’t hitting the beach because you never know when a pool or the opportunity to swim will appear and you don’t want to miss out.
- Specialist gear – Are you heading off for a skiing holiday? Or maybe you are traveling to surf. Whatever the event, you might need to bring your own specialist equipment. This list will depend completely on the activity that you plan on doing, so make sure you have the items that you will need because they may not be available where you are going.
The items that you use for your personal hygiene can be tough to pack. If you are using a carry-on bag only when you travel, you may not be able to take your toiletries through security. And if you choose to use a large suitcase, you can fill it with unnecessary weight if you’re not careful. Lets not forget that the price of travel sized items may not be the most cost efficient plan. If you think that you have the room and don’t mind carrying the extra weight, some of the ideas you could pack are-
- Toothbrush – Everyone should bring a toothbrush when they travel, and you probably have a favorite toothpaste that you like to use. Toothpaste can last a long time so it’s not a bad idea to pack a fresh full-sized tube for your adventures.
- Hair brush or combs – Having a comb or a brush to keep your hair looking fresh is a must when you are traveling. As well as being able to style your hair, if you can’t get to a shower, a brush or comb can help to brush excess dirt away until you can get properly clean.
- Deodorant – We shouldn’t need to tell you how important a good deodorant is when you travel. Stuffy planes and trains can leave us feeling less than fresh. A good deodorant can keep you fresh for around 48 hours, which is plenty of time for a long haul journey.
- Sunscreen – It doesn’t matter where in the world you are going, sunscreen is a must for any traveler. From the second you step into the daylight, your skin is being bombarded with harmful UV rays. Always plan ahead and make sure that you have some on hand instead of having to search for the nearest drugstore when you arrive.
- Shower gel – If you want to travel light, you could choose a shampoo/shower gel combo. Dr Bronners is an excellent choice for a multi-usage product as it can tackle everything from top to bottom.
These are by far the most underappreciated items that people pack. But people rarely choose the right sunglasses. Instead of picking a cheap pair that shades your eyes, choose a pair with UV protection for your health. You can easily pick up designer frames with a UV filter here, or you can speak to your local optician about prescription sunglasses. If you are a glasses wearer, you will need to work out how your choice of eyewear will affect your journey. Would you be better off bringing contact lenses or a variety of glasses?
Thankfully, the electronics we have nowadays mean that we can bring so much more with us than before, but with fewer items. Your smart phone alone acts as a small computer, music player, map, banking assistant, and camera, just to name a few things that it can do. As well as your phone, you could bring Bluetooth headphones, your laptop if you are planning on working, or a digital camera if you want to take exceptionally high quality photos. And don’t forget, if your toothbrush is an electric one, you will need to bring the charger for it. If possible, it might be a good idea to see if you can get a multi charger if you have items that require different chargers.
Converters and Adapters
If you are choosing to bring technology with you, and you probably are, you will need to ensure that you bring the appropriate chargers and adapters. Thankfully, the invention of the usb port has allowed many items to be charged this way instead of having to carry a variety of adaptors. If you discover that you need some additional chargers, they can generally be picked up easily from the airport shop, although this option can work out to be pricey if you keep forgetting your adaptors.
First Aid Kit
This is another overlooked item that everyone should consider packing. You may want to keep it on hand in your carry on bag in case of a medical emergency. In this case, you will need to ensure that you have all of the proper paperwork for carrying your medication with you during your trip. The last thing you need is security tossing your meds because you forgot to bring your doctors note. You can also bring regular painkillers and medications for digestive discomfort or allergies. Sunburn lotions and insect repellents are also a great idea for your first aid kit. Obviously, the size of the bottles will depend if you are able to check your luggage or not.
When it comes to travelling, you will probably swing between wanting to pack all the comforts of home, and bringing nothing but a toothbrush and your passport. The important thing to remember is that you need to find a middle ground for what to bring with you. It is also important to remember that every trip will not be the same and have different requirements. Research as much as you can before you go, so in the event of you needing something extra, you have an idea of where you can pick stuff up. Travelling and seeing the world is an adventure, and we hope that you can find that middle ground with your packing so that your trip is a success!